Sunday, July 31, 2011

Title - A little action and a lot of waiting

I called and received my paperwork to submit a Petition for Involuntary Transfer of Ownership.  One of the steps was to apply for a registration and get denied.  I already had done a title search (DL-135 in PA), so I knew all records of the bike were purged from the DMV, but didn't want to get in front of a judge and be sent away because I didn't have it.  I called AAA and was speaking with one of their title folks.  He was asking some questions about the bike and we were struggling a little to communicate - him to impart knowledge, me the facts surrounding my situation.  I told him that I had an old bike that needed a title. I made it clear that there was no record of the title in Harrisburg.  He asked if I had a registration card, I said "no".  Then he asked "Who is the owner of the bike", to which I responded "I am".  I never quite got to the part that I had just bought it and I had every intention to let him know, it just didn't come up yet in our exchange. He said that I should just request a duplicate title and explained the procedure when the records were purged.

Hmmm.  Brain is working.  Me, "So, I can just request a title."   Him, "Yeah, but it probably takes a month or so."  Me, "No problem".  Off I go to AAA the next day and submit for a duplicate title.  AAA indicated that sometimes the requests get kicked out, but I got the impression it would be for more information rather than outright rejection.  We will see.  I hope to have a response from the DMV by mid-August.

I am trying to hold off on further investments until I get the title.  Having a vintage bike with a valid title is worth much more than a Bill of Sale.  Obtaining a title on an old bike is a hassle, and in some states not possible.  The title means a lot.

Despite my attempted restraint, I bought a new seat cover.  I  am definitely going with a cafe look.  I think the stock bike looks a little dorky and unless you are going for a 10-point original restoration, there isn't much point in having a dorky looking bike.  I won't hack it to pieces and will keep all the original parts, so if some future owner wants to return it to its dorky state, they can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home